[nfbcs] Helping a software engineer keep his job

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Oct 19 04:22:00 UTC 2014

I have several thoughts on this thread. First, to address the question of
which operating system should be learned, I would say whatever operating
system is already being used. Learning a new operating system is going to be
confusing and harder for a blind person than a sighted person. Also, if a
company uses primarily one operating system, it is usually advantageous to
use whatever operating system that is. If they don't use Windows as the
primary operating system, they might prefer that people not be using remote
access from Windows to access files via mounting.
Second, in regards to which operating system to use in general, I say
different strokes for different folks. Often, we like best whatever we
learned first. I learned Windows first. I tried a Mac for a while, but, in
spite of my best efforts, found that I could not adjust to the VoiceOver way
of doing things. I have not tried Linux but plan to in my infinite spare
time (joke, I don't have infinite spare time).
Finally, in regards to ssh, I have found that Cygwin works better with JAWS
than PUTTY. However, there are still several things that don't work that,
JMHO, Freedom Scientific should fix, such as JAWS reading commands not
working, JAWS being off a character or more when reading, JAWS reading the
entire line if you are editing in the middle of a line, and cursor routing
on a Braille display not working. Besides that, I have found most other
features, such as reading what is inserted when autocomplete with tab is
used and reading what is printed on the screen.

Nicole