[nfbcs] XP to 32-bit Windows 7

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Sep 9 18:59:33 UTC 2014

Brian,

I suspect that her position is the same as mine, that the upgrade is governed by my employer.  We went from XP to
Windows 32-bit here, I suspect because they couldn't be certain if everything we use, directly and/or indirectly,
would work under 64-bit.  Although I would agree with your advice on going to 64-bit directly in general, I've
seen more instances of software or drivers  not working under 64-bit than the other case, that being working under
64-bit but not 32-bit.  I went directly to 64-bit at home and mostly did not have a problem except for a scanner
driver that didn't work under 64-bit that I understand would have worked under 32-bit.  If she goes with what
other employees are getting, though, she can get help from her employer's tech support people.  What would make
sense in general may not make as much sense when you don't have complete control over your environment and someone
else is responsible for maintaining the machine.  For example, my computer does not go to Windows update.  It gets
patches sent to it by my employer.  It is questionable whether I sould get all the necessary patches if I had a
64-bit computer.  Does this make any sense?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson