[nfbcs] XP to 32-bit Windows 7

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 9 17:28:38 UTC 2014

Its not likely that your new machine is 32 bit. The operating system
might be, but not the PC itself.  I suspect your PC tech has just one
Windows 7 CD and since you still have some 32 bit machines in the
building, he got the 32-bit version of Windows 7. You can put 32 bit
Win7 on a 64 bit machine but you can't put 64 bit Win7 on a 32 bit machine.

The only parts that aren't compatible between a 32 bit machine and a 64
bit machine are the motherboard, cpu, and ram. Everything else, like the
disk, cd-rom drive, and expansion cards may or may not be compatible but
  that wouldn't depend on whether the machine is 32 or 64 bit. For
example, you might have an IDE hard drive in your old machine and a SATA
hard drive in your new machine. But that has nothing to do with whether
it is a 32 or 64 bit machine.

Not trying to be a smart alek here but sometimes I do feel sorry for you
people stuck with Windows. Of course, linux has it's own problems.