[nfbcs] University Engineering Career Fair: How to discuss my vision

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 29 15:32:27 UTC 2014

I am not sure there is an answer to your question. If there is, I'd go
with Tracey's suggestion of getting a white cane. Before I started using
a cane, I did get kind of good, at least in my own mind, at bringing it
up casually in job interviews. "I do have a bit of a vision problem."

But what I really want to mention is that I strongly disagree with the
HR people who told you not to mention it. I think that comes off as
challenging the employer to not hire you because you're blind. To some
degree, it depends on the size of the company and the level of
professionalism of the recruiter. Some recruiters are going to know that
the standard advice is to not  talk about your disability. But in most
companies, where the boss does the hiring or at best, someone who got a
degree in Art History is the HR person, not talking about your
disability comes off as daring them to not hire you because you have a
disability. They may already be uneasy about offending you and even
worried about the legal ramifications of turning you down. By not
mentioning it, you're just driving home the point that it's a taboo topic.

This is all just my opinion, of course. But it comes from actually
asking small business owners what they think when an applicant doesn't
mention their disability. I mean, I have actually sat down with small
business managers and discussed it with them. They don't care that you
are not legally required to divulge that you have a disability or that
you don't have to talk about it. I am sure that if these businessmen
had their lawyers sitting right next to them, they'd have been told to
shut up.  But if you can get them to be honest, that's what they will say.

Hiring is all about who you like.  A manager will ignore just about
anything on a resume if they like the candidate enough. Avoiding
something as huge as a disability is no way to strike up a friendship
with a recruiter. You have to *tell* them that your disability is not a
thing. They are not going to spontaneously come to that conclusion on
their own.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to get them to think they happen
to be instinctively good at addressing  a person with a disability. The
best thing is if you can get to the point where you can say something
like,  "Wow, I am really impressed by how comfortable you are around my
disability. A lot of people make such a big deal out of it."
Admittedly, it can be difficult to get to that point. And you don't want
to trigger their BS meter. But you'd be surprised how easy it is to
convince most people that they are truly wonderful human beings. When
you tell most people they seem unusually comfortable around  you,
they'll  say something about having a second cousin once removed who
wears really thick glasses so they are used to it.