[nfbcs] What's running?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Apr 25 16:42:36 UTC 2015

Tracy,

I don't know which lists the JAWS keys bring up so don't know if they duplicate the Task Manager or not.  However, another thing to look at is MSCONFIG.
This lets you see everything that runs at startup and lets you disable items as well.  Of course, things that run at startup don't necessarily remain running, but
it is probably one way to see if you have Norton components on your system.  Go to the "run" dialog with Windows key and R, and then type in MSCONFIG
and press ENTER.  This brings up a window with multiple tabs, one of which is "Startup."  The other tabs are probably worth exploring as well.  It is not
easy, though, to always know those things that need to be running.  If you always notice a lot of disk activity, this might help.

If the disk activity is not always an issue, then it could be any number of things such as downloading of Windows Updates, virus automatic scans, or
malware automatic scans.  I believe there is even an option that automatically defragments your hard disk which I do not use.  If you reboot regularly, some
of these scans may never complete and will either resume or even start over when you boot up next.  I've definitely noticed degraded performance on my
laptop when Windows updates are being downloaded.

Regarding Norton, if you are saying you want to get rid of it and use something else, I believe there is an uninstall process on their website.  You can
probably find it with Google, but I would only use the process on their website and not just any process unless you are certain it is legitimate.

Best regards,

Steve
was be very careful