[nfbcs] best computer for a CS student?

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Feb 23 04:18:17 UTC 2015

Hello:
It's going to be really hard to find a system that has two drives that
is portable. I had a lenovo (the school gives you a free computer for
paying their tuition). It had a 320 gb drive, which was a bit small.
The Mac they recently gave hme has a 512 gb SSD which is plenty. If
you want to experiment, get vmware Fusion.
So here's what I'd look for:
40 cell braille display, if you are a braille reader. Robert prefers
an 80 cell, but that's pretty large if you're in school and you can't
take it with you.
8-16 gb ram.
decent harddrive, nothing smaller than 512 gb ssd or 500 gb harddrive
(you will need room for a couple vms).
decent CPU: 3.2 ghz, probably a quad core. The more work you do the
larger project you'll be working on. Being able to compile faster will
be really useful.
Passport 1 tb drive. (Always really nice to be able to bacvk stuff up,
store old code, etc).

HTH,