[nfbcs] Skype, Screen Readers, and other audio/video programs or files

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 23:19:31 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have a question regarding using Skype, a screen reader, and a third party
such as YouTube or an audio file.

I was working with someone via Skype on something, and he allowed me to hear
something he'd been working on which was actually a YouTube video.  I could
hear both the YouTube video and his voice coming from his computer.

Am I able to do that, even if I have a screen reader such as JAWS?  If so,
how would I go about doing it?

I tried testing it out with my friend by going to YouTube and playing a
video, but what he heard was barely audible, except for what I was saying,
which was fine.

I would imagine that one would have to play with certain settings; however,
at that time, I didn't really want to spend too much time figuring things
out and waste my friend's time.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim