[nfbcs] Frequent JAWS crashes when using Microsoft products

George osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Oct 1 23:32:27 UTC 2015

Robert,

I don't use IE or JAWS, but I have recently had problems with Word 2013,
too.
I use Firefox, NVDA and Office 2013.

It seems that Word has become a bit unstable since the last update on
Sept. 8, probably because of necessary adaptations for Windows 10.
I searched on the internet and some people say that Word became very
slow to respond after that.

I didn't have problems until late September, but, one day, I started
Word 2013 and it suddenly stopped working immediately after I started it.
I rebooted my PC, but nothing changed.
I did a quick repair, but the problem remained the same.
Then, I did a repair over the internet, and it started asking me for the
product ID, so I needed sighted assistance to get the product ID from
the little card that came with my PC (Dell PC with Office 2013
preinstalled).
After I did that, Word worked OK until I closed it, but, when I started
it again, I got the same error as before. I did the repair on the
internet again and it took me like an hour to finish with it (it said
that the internet connection was slow; I think it was not slow at all on
my side). When I finished the repair, the same error occurred
immediately after or before Word automatically started.
Then, I trouble-shot Word and it worked normally for one day, but it
started displaying the UAC dialog whenever I started it. Excel worked
perfectly OK and the UAC dialog didn't appeared.
However, the next day I started Word, it stopped working again right
after I started it.
I thought I had to be patient and, perhaps, wait until the next Windows
update was available, but I needed to use Word, so I uninstalled it one
day later. It said that the uninstallation was successful, but, when I
tried to re-install it, error:3-4 appeared. I checked for the meaning of
error 3-4 and found out that Office hadn't been completely uninstalled
and I wouldn't be able to reinstall it until I completely uninstall it.
It was impossible to uninstall it from Control Panel and even with a
Fixit, Microsoft made to uninstall Office.
By that time, I had also lost Excel.
My only option was to uninstall Office manually, following strict and
dangerous procedures, which take time and gave me a lot of extra stress.
I succeeded in manually uninstalling Office and I could reinstall it.
Now Word opens normally, but whenever I start Word, the annoying UAC
appears; it never appeared before, until I did the trouble shooting.

So, here's my advice:
If you can, be patient, don't do anything until you get the new Windows
Update that should be available at around the 10th of this month. I
don't know but it might solve your problems.

About IE, consider to use NVDA with Firefox.
Check what happens when using NVDA with Word.

The following pages might help you in case you decide to repair,
install, ETC Office 2013, but it's very stressing and you might have to
do a windows recovery if something goes wrong.
I just write these URLs for your information. Particularly, I don't
advice you to uninstall office manually unless you are a very advanced
computer user.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

http://blogs.technet.com/b/cs3_office/archive/2014/02/15/3622899.aspx

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manually-uninstall-Office-2013-or-Office-365-1d1110d5-75a4-4154-969e-4260ff29b232?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US