[nfbcs] [Accessible Scrum tool

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 22:03:52 UTC 2015

Scrub? As in wipe? Meaning wipe the data off a hard drive?  I don't know
how to do this with a Mac. But on PC hardware, I use a live linux distro
called grml. Then I use the dd command thusly:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096

if= the imput file. In this case, a device that generates zeros. It's
built into the linux kernel.
of= output file. In this case, /dev/sda will be your harddisk.
bs= the buffer size. 4096 is the sector size of most disks.

You can also use /dev/random for the input file and it will write random
numbers to the disk. That makes it less likely that someone with a
magnetic scanner can resurrect the drive. Supposedly, if you write
random numbers to the disk like a dozen times even the CIA can't get the
data back. It would take forever though.

For purposes of your class, you might be able to us the example command
I gave above.