[nfbcs] Android-based braille notetakers

Ronald Smith ronsmith131 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 03:31:52 UTC 2016

Hello Curtis and all,

I also saw the three android based braille notetakers at CSUN.
They all have their pluses and minuses.

The B2G being the cheapest at $2,500 and a nifty device is running Jellybean
and has I think 8GB internal memory plus 1GB processor.

The Braille Touch from Humanware $5.495 (32 cell, and there is an 18 cell
coming out at the same price as the Apex 18) is running Kitcat and has I
think 16GB of internal memory plus 1.7GB processor.

The Neo Braille from Neo Access at $4,995 is running Lollypop with 64GB
internal memory and has a 2.1GB processor.

It's interesting, that when speaking with all three venders, they claim
their OS version is the most accessible for the blind.
I guess we must remember that they somewhat customize some of their apps to
fit the OS being utilized.

There is also two windows 10 based braille notetakers being shown as well.

Freedom Scientific has their El Braille for around $3,500; which consist of
a Focus 14, Jaws, and a windows 10 docking station.
It's a nifty little package as well.
I'm not crazy about the Focus 14 for the number of cells and the quality of
braille it has.
But if one already has Jaws and a Focus 14, then you can pick up a docking
station for around $1,500.
You could pick up a used Focus 14 on the lists and save money as well.

The other windows 10 notetaker is 32 cells of braillwe and is from France.
Check out J. J.'s BlindBargains CSUN podcast, for I didn't personally see
this one.

I was very surprised with this years CSUN, since I think they had the most
new items of any CSUN conference I've attended and I've been to all but a
hand full of them to date.

ronsmith131 at gmail.com