[nfbcs] Computer Science Career Questions

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 5 14:49:29 UTC 2016

Yeah, you make a good point about working in the cloud. That's something
you might do on your own time. Get an account on linode or digital ocean
and set up a server. I've been a little concerned about some of the
advice in this thread with people suggesting so much specific knowledge
to get. I think that's a mistake. In an interview, a guy once asked me
which programming languages I knew. I said I know them all because once
you know more than 2 you know them all. I said in an afternoon I can be
productive in a new language and in a week I can be fluent. After the
interview, the guy said that was the best answer he'd ever heard.

I'd recommend more generalized skills like security and networking. For
specific skills, I'd suggest web design, linux admin, virtualization
(probably VMware), and cloud systems.

Having the specific skills they are looking for is great. But if you go
into a job interview and tell them about how just for the fun of it, you
got an account on linode, set up a linux server, installed wordpress,
and created your own blog site, you're going to blow the guy's mind.
Most interviewers won't care if you've never heard of their programming
language of choice if you can tell them about stuff like that. And if
they do care more about whether you know their programming language of
choice, you don't want to work for them anyway.