[nfbcs] {Spam?} Blog introduction:

Charles E. Black charleseblack at att.net
Sun Sep 11 03:37:17 UTC 2016

BlindsecBlog

A blog has been created, blindsecblog.wordpress.com,  to allow blind
security practitioners a forum to question strategies, share knowledge and
learn about Cybersecurity. The major focus will be on strategies to achieve
security tasks, new advances in knowledge and equipment, and opportunities
to remove misconceptions. Below is a discussion relating to a large problem
in our nation today.

Social Engineering is the leading Cybersecurity threat to date. There are
people who still fall prey to false stories, who are lead to reveal
information that shouldn't be discussed and other fictitious schemes meant
to mislead innocent call center agents, secretaries and C level employees.
These schemes are happening all over America and in other countries. The
answer is education and awareness. They must be made aware of some of the
techniques used, be told what to ask before revealing information, and not
to discuss things inside your business with those outside your company.
Another attack is probing for information to be used about someone. When a
pretend customer calls an agent to obtain information, computers should be
written to ask specific, revealing information before giving the user the
information that a client may be attempting to obtain. A profile of people
should be created and a random question taken from that information which
would require an accurate response to receive information.

These are two areas where education and information are advantageous. A
blind person can educate people in this area as well as any other. A blind
person can achieve Ethical Hacking. What blind people need is a belief in
their selves and an education. If anyone has anything to add to this, wishes
to start a new discussion or has information to impart, please share it with
all of us. I will be putting weekly posts out here an attempt to create
conversation and encourage discussions with different clubs, groups and
educational facilities. We can lead those who want to be Cybersecurity
employees, let others know of opportunities and share what we have learned.
Once the gathering gets large enough, we can start having monthly meetings
on line if so desired. There are groups who build and learn from each other.
Our group needs to do the same. Thanks for reading my thoughts and I look
forward to reading some of your responses.

Charles E. Black