[nfbcs] Optacon thoughts

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Sep 14 11:51:58 UTC 2016

Hi Dave.
I disagree.  I still have an Optacon, and there are things it does nothing
else can do.  I can read print music with it, for one thing.  I have music
scanning software, but, like all scanners, it makes mistakes, and I use the
Optacon to fix them.  I have also recently used it to look at a diagram of
some new doodad I bought, to figure out what buttons were where.  I've read
the label on some buttons.  I've read a blood work report, where K1000 was
not properly reading some highlighted material.  I've used it to look at my
solar output report, which has a table with several columns.  The Optacon
makes it easier for me to figure out which number goes with which header,
quicker than I can with Jaws.  I read a round pill bottle, which usually
doesn't work well with a scanner. And I used to use it to read Japanese
print.
It did take some effort to learn, but that effort has paid off many times
over.  I hope my Optacon lasts a long time, and that someone re-develops it
with more modern technology.  For me, nothing beats being able to interpret
print directly, using what's still the most sophisticated software around,
my brain.
Tracy