[nfbcs] Optacon thoughts

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Sep 16 20:17:27 UTC 2016

Dave,

I feel somewhat obligated to make clear that I am not one who thinks there
is a huge user base awaiting a new Optacon.  If a new Optacon had come along
that was a couple thousand dollars that had some improved design features, I
would probably have coughed up the money to buy one, but I do acknowledge
that it is a specialized device.  There was talk at one time that a
one-handed Optacon might be developed where one would track and feel the
results with the same hand.  This would have greatly reduced the needed
coordination since it would have involved only one hand, but I do not
honestly know how much difference that would make to the average user.  To
some degree, the problem is the same as it always had been, that it sounds
like a wonderful machine but developing the technique to use it effectively
is a lot of work and still has limitations.

I think the recently announced graphics display does have some possibility
to fill the gap for which some of us have used Optacons.  The potential to
use such a display to access maps is also a possibility that I hope is
pursued.  For example, maps will not need to be restricted to a page.  One
could have larger maps with more detail and the graphics display could be
moved around the map as a sort of window.  Whether any of this happens is
hard to know, but it will be interesting to watch.

Having said all of this, though, I think my use of the Optacon has been very
helpful on my job.  My understanding of print has been greatly increased.
The Optacon is the only way I can independently get an idea of why OCR
worked poorly for example.  I am amazed how often using OCR on screen shots
works very poorly even though the print seems clear with the Optacon,
something I've had to deal with on the job.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson