[nfbcs] How to get around a couple of bugs in an iPhone 5 running iOS 9.3.5

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Mon Sep 26 20:30:05 UTC 2016

	hello Mike.  I'm not sure about the keyboard question since I'm not
sure I understand the problem.  However, I think I can help with the picker
issue.

	When you run into a picker item, double tap it.  Then, move your
finger to just above the home button.  Rest your finger there until
voiceover focus moves there. Now, you should be able to single finger flick
up and down to move between the choices of the picker.  Once you've made
your selection, single finger flick left once so that VoiceOver says
"done".  Double tap to signal that you want to close the picker.  Finally,
move your finger to the middle of the screen some where, and let VoiceOver
move the focus to your finger.  Now, you can flick left and right to
navigate the page you were working on to get back to where you were before
you  opened the picker menu item.  This is probably the most frustrating
part of this process, since it involves exploring the page to find the
place where you were before you  opened the drop down menu, but when you
pass over the menu buttons, they should have the selections you made.  with
practice, you'll learn where the best place to put your finger is after
selecting a menu item so as to get as close as possible to where you were.

	I've not figured out how to do this efficiently with a braille display
at all.  I have to pick up the phone, move the focus to the picker menu,
open it, then use the braille display to make the selection.  It's faster
just to abandon the braile display for this portion of web page navigation.

Hope that helps.
-Brian