[nfbcs] K-Maps

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Thu Sep 29 17:35:53 UTC 2016

The PIAF machine (pictures in a flash) does tactile graphics. If your institution has a PIAF they could perhaps make you tactile squares of all the symbols you need and put adhesive magnetic material on the back. I prepared this for one of our students, and I am blind.

I made a table in Word with all the symbols and used 72 point so each was an inch tall. This was for algebra though, not for circuit analysis which would use skematics.

Then I printed that grid on PIAF paper and ran it through the PIAF machine.

Now I had tactile grids with symbols. Next I had a student worker, who was sighted carefully cut the squares.

We used the adhesive magnets you can get from craft stores for fridge magnets. One was glued on the back of each square. It actually turned out looking quite neat. You can get stronger adhesive magnets in electronics stores; they are used to hold small tools to tables or shelves.

The student worked with the symbols on the side of a large metal filing cabinet. It was sort of a tactile whiteboard.

--Debee