[nfbcs] Is majoring in information technology in a mainstream college a good idea?

Amy Albin amyralbin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 13:34:59 UTC 2017

Hello All,

My name is Amy.  I just graduated from high school and will be
attending college in the spring semester.  I'm considering majoring in
information technology.  I'm a completely blind user of JAWS.

The only background in computer science I have is a course in Visual
Basic.  I relied on a sighted person to help me place objects, but I
really understood and enjoyed the coding itself; it was just the
accessibility issues.  Since my background is so scant, I don't know
what to ask Accessibility Services at my college for.  For instance, I
know that they use object oriented programming.  Is there a way to
make that accessible?  Should I change my major?  I'm basically diving
in the water not knowing how to swim.  If anyone could give me some
suggestions, please, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy