[nfbcs] Is majoring in information technology in a mainstream college a good idea?

Drenth, Joe Joe.Drenth at JBTC.COM
Fri Aug 4 14:22:42 UTC 2017

Hi Amy,

It is totally possible for you to succeed in the Information Technologies field as a blind person.

There are usually always a nonvisual way of performing the same tasks that a sighted user would perform using the mouse to drag items around a user interface, etc., such as adjusting the placement and size of controls programmatically, using configuration files to assign properties, and other methods along those lines.

Many tasks in the I.T. world actually work better using text-based scripting languages to control the flow of operations in terminal mode, rather than interacting with a graphical user interface.

Don't let your lack of eyesight lower your expectations or goals -- not in the least.

I am a blind software engineer and have been working in the field of factory automation and mobile robotics for over eighteen years, and there are many others on this list who would also  agree that the field in which you are interested is not out of reach.

If you have any additional specific questions about any of this, please post them.

Warmest regards,
Joe

Joseph Drenth
Senior R&D Software Engineer