[nfbcs] Is majoring in information technology in a mainstream college a good idea?

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri Aug 4 17:18:10 UTC 2017

Hello Amy,

I agree with Jack that a CS or IT degree is a very good degree for a blind person to go after.

However, the road won't be without bumps. I'd say this is probably true regardless of which career path you take.

Some of the bumps you're likely to encounter include inaccessible software, tools, reporting, etc.

Different people approach these problems differently.  I am a big proponent of readers to work with tools that you don't need to deal with daily.  Time cards and expense reports are easy example to point out.

I also highly advocate knowing how to use multiple screen readers well, and understanding something about how the accessibility faults in the tools your using interact with your screen reader.  This will make you a "power user" of various screen readers, which significantly increases the chances that you'll be able to use existing tools.

Another option is to write your own tools to replace the inaccessible ones.  This requires that you become a very practiced programmer. Maybe not the best, but able to figure out what needs to be done and then code it independently.

It's also a good idea to begin pushing for accessibility in the tools that your university or employer uses.  This raises the issue of accessibility and gets them thinking about it.  However, you'll generally always be stuck with a few tools that don't get updated often, or over whose developers you have little influence.

I am a blind person and have been working in IT for 30 years for various companies including Google, Yahoo, and Qualcomm.  I've been a systems administrator, programmer, systems architect, infrastructure architect, and now a cloud architect.

Good Luck Amy!

Jim