[nfbcs] Is majoring in information technology in a mainstream college a good idea?

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Fri Aug 4 16:12:04 UTC 2017

Information Technology is a very good career for a blind person. So much
so that many states used to have programs to teach blind people computer
programming. Most of those programs are gon now but that is because they
were trying to force square pegs into round holes. I attended one of
these programs after I got my Comp Sci degree, which was kind of crazy
in itself. But what I saw there was that they were trying to force
people into careers in IT that just didn't have an aptitude for using
computers.

I think you should take some IT courses and find out if you like it.
Keep your options open. You can declare an IT major and switch to
something else if you don't like it. But if you do like it, go for it
because it is a very good career for a blind person.

PS: I do IT for the Math department at the University Of Wisconsin. I
signed up to be a mentor for visually impaired students here. I'd
encourage you to find out if there is a mentoring program at your school
and if they have any visually impaired mentors.