[nfbcs] jaws so sensitive is BS!

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 29 18:46:55 UTC 2017

When I first started using JAWS for Windows, a user had a fixed number of
authorizations and they came on a 3 1/2 inch disk. When you ran out, things
were tough. I cannot for the life of me see how the current process is
burdensome. If I go to FSACTIVATE, I can request that my authorization count
be reset. This seems eminently fair and reasonable.

As much as I detest the need to endure any protection scheme, I know people
who are very proud of the fact that they have versions of JAWS that have
been given to them by others. Although I have never investigated it, some
people tell me that they have hacked versions of JAWS in which the
authorization scheme is disabled. His Jaws expensive? I consider it so, but
I appreciate its support, its training materials, and people I can actually
talk with when I have a problem. I made a living as a programmer for more
than thirty years, and whether people value the cost of intellectual
property or not, I know that I needed to be paid for my work.

Do I have NVDA on my system? I certainly do. Am I glad that it exists? Yes I
am, and I vote not only by using it but by making contributions. But as an
editor I can't find all of the functions that now serve me well in my use of
JAWS for Windows, so I will continue to support a for-profit company while
at the same time being open to other alternatives and encouraging them as
well.