[nfbcs] Braille displays

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed Mar 29 13:33:38 UTC 2017

Some people would probably think I am crazy, but when I am looking at HTML or XML code on a braille display, I run my screen reader in contracted Unified English Braille. You don't get the one-to-one correspondence of characters and their positions, but in this way you don't have to deal with 8-dot braille, which I find harder to read. If you're going to read code using computer braille, sometimes called Grade 0, you need dot 7 in order to distinguish between lower and upper case letters, brackets and braces, backslash and vertical bar, tilde and caret, at and accent-grave.
U E B takes a lot of getting used to, but that's what works for me. There will likely be some differences between the Duxbury translation used in Window-Eyes vs. the LibLouis translation used in NVDA and JAWS. Your choice will also be determined by how you enter code; from the braille keyboard or from the QWERTY, and how the screen readers treat braille input. I would guess that you're not going to be trying too much braille input since you already type a lot.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20542   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls/
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.