[nfbcs] Recommendations for new Windows Laptop

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 05:03:12 UTC 2018

If you use Microsoft's tool to get a clean fresh install of Windows 10,
won't that accomplish the same thing?
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10startfresh

I did this with an HP Envy with similar specs to Curtis's although I got
a 1.5 TB rotary hard drive. SSD drives were still a bit too pricey for
me, and I wanted a lot of space for virtual machines and the like. BTW,
I also considered the Dell XPS-13, but I got a better deal on the HP
Envy. I also very seldom run Windows, but use Linux almost exclusively
on my HP Envy.

On 08/15/2018 10:53 AM, Curtis Chong via nfbcs wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I recommend a laptop which is free from vendor-specific software (i.e.,
> bloatware) with a memory capacity of 16GB using an I7 processor. For the
> hard drive, it is worth paying extra for a 512 GB SSD flash drive. This will
> speed up your boot time immensely.
>
> I myself bought an HP ProBook 450 with the above specs, and I have been
> quite happy with it.
>
> Of course, you will be getting Windows 10. This means that your speech and
> magnification technology absolutely needs to be kept current since Microsoft
> introduces a major update to the operating system twice each year.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Curtis Chong

Christopher (CJ)