[nfbcs] Learning Eclipse with a Screenreader

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 17:55:36 UTC 2018

Hi, I am looking for an new IDE for programming. I have used ED Sharp
for the past couple years, but I am curious to try eclipse again. My
computer science program encourages students to use eclipse, so I did
take a look at it, but found it to be complicated and hard to
understand how to use with a screenreader. I set it down and just
continued using ED sharp, which is easier to use even if it does lack
a lot of the nice features that eclipse can provide.

note: I am primarily programming in Java and a little python right now.

I started playing with eclipse again, testing it with Jaws and NVDA, I
think I have a hang of the basics, but I do have some questions.
Something I noticed was that for some reason Jaws isn't reading
indentations even with "read indentations" on. NVDA does read the
indentations though, does anyone no why, or no how to fix this? I can
use NVDA, but I prefer to use Jaws, and I really want my screenreader
to be reading indentations.
Also, I found that ctrl+shift+l will give me a list of the shortcut
keys, so I learned that f11 will compile, and I believe it is ctrl+f11
to run, but how do I easily get to the output window?
Also, I could not figure out how to debug at all, can anyone give me
tips on this?

Any resources or tips for using eclipse with jaws or NVDA would be very helpful.

Thanks,

TJ Breitenfeldt