[nfbcs] Learning Eclipse with a Screenreader

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 22:34:44 UTC 2018

Hi Timothy,

I am using Eclipse with PyDev for python development, but I believe many
keyboard shortcuts will be the same regardless whether you program in
Java or Python. Navigating between different views might be confusing in
the beginning, but there are not too many shortcuts to learn to jump
between them.

I use eclipse with NVDA. I tried it with Jaws, and it indeed doesn't
want to announce the indentation, I don't know why.

Here are the keyboard shortcuts that I use:

Alt+Shift+W P - jump to package explorer (tree view that shows all the
files of your project, and sometimes other projects in current workspace)

Alt+Shift+Q C - Jump to console - that's where you can view the output
of your program if you are debugging with F11. I couldn't find where
does the output go if you run your program without debugging with
Control+F11

Also Alt+Shift+Q  and Alt+Shift+W open popup menus where you can select
to jump to other views.

Control + F7  - jump to previous view. This way you can return back to
the editor.

Control+E - switch between tabs in the editor.

As for debugging, you need to make sure that Eclipse has correct
configuration for JDK/JRE or Python installation. Assuming you've got
this sorted out, here are my shortcuts that I use for debugging:

Control+Shift+B - set breakpoint. You won't get any notification that
the breakpoint was set, nor will Jaws/NVDA announce the presence of the
breakpoint, but next time you debug your program, it'll stop on that line.

F6, F5 - step over, step into

To inspect the value of a variable, there are two ways.

Alt+Shift+Q V - to jump to variables view, where you can see the values
of all local variables

or alternatively

1. Select a variable

2. Click context menu, and select watch

3. It'll take you to expressions view, where you can configure which
variables you want to see

4. You can seitch between this view and editor using Control+F7, but I
couldn't find a good shortcut to jump to expressions view from anywhere.
You can still jump to it through the menu Window>Show View>Expressions.

Hope this help.

Tony