[nfbcs] Learning Eclipse with a Screenreader

William Grussenmeyer wdg31415 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 01:24:28 UTC 2018

There was an eclipse tutorial for screen readers floating around a few
years ago when I started.  maybe someone has the link still?  i'll try
to find it later.
Some basic things to start out:
simple hit alt to go to the menu bar.  Look around under each menu bar
and you'll find a lot of interesting stuff there.
If you type alt w it takes you to window menu and then you can go down
to the change view sub menu : under that you will find things like
output console, problems pane with syntax errors, package view and so
forth.  You can use this until you have the short cut keys memorized.
Also, if you look under the settings or properties menu under the
window menu you should be able to find a way  to change all the short
cut keys and also add new short cut keys that don't exist.  I don't
think there is a default shortcut key to go to output console so
you'll have to create one yourself or use window change view menu to
go to it.I forget how to do it off the top of my head.  But it is
really useful to change the short cut keys to something easier to use
and easier to memorize.

 As for the indenting , eclipse will auto correct indenting for you if
you hit ctrl I just for that line.  If you do ctrl a and select whole
file and then ctrl I it will auto fix all indenting in the file for
you.  I never heard indenting in it with jaws the several years I used
it.  It's really a waste of time to sit there and worry about
indenting until the code is done and working.  Then fix the indenting
if someone else is going to look at the code or don't bother if no one
but you will look at the code.

  Eclipse is a full featured IDE so it'll take many hours and many
months to learn everything in it.  You'll have to spend the time to
look through things and learn it.  But it is worth it in the end to
spend the time.