[nfbcs] is there a trick to using JAWS on a laptop with two video cards?

Glen Gordon GGordon at VFOGroup.com
Sat Jun 16 18:46:37 UTC 2018

Ryan,

What OS are you running? Is it Windows 7? If Windows 10 or even 8.1 I can't figure out how you could be having this problem. If it's Windows 7, I can work out in my mind why you might have DirectX issues while JAWS is running but not once it's been shut down cleanly.

--Glen

Glen Gordon
VFO | Vice President & Chief Technology Officer
11800 31st Court North, St. Petersburg, FL 33716
T 727-299-6230
ggordon at vfo-group.com
www.vfo-group.com

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbcs <nfbcs-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Ryan Boudwin via nfbcs
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2018 10:39 AM
To: nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Cc: Ryan Boudwin <ryanboudwin at gmail.com>
Subject: [nfbcs] is there a trick to using JAWS on a laptop with two video cards?

Hey folks,

I am using JAWS on a Lenovo ThinkPad with two video cards in an optimus configuration (meaning that there are two video cards, one that is a weak intel HD card that is very power efficient, and one that is a stronger NVIDIA card for games, etc).

JAWS is working as expected and I'm not having issues with that side of things, but since I installed JAWS no applications that would use the NVIDIA graphics card will work anymore. As I share my computer with others who don't need JAWS it would be great if it could still be a fully functional computer when I am not using it.

When I try to launch a game I get an error that says:

No suitable graphics card found.
Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework Reach profile. Verify that a suitable graphics device is installed.

Does anyone on this list have experience with this kind of issue? Does JAWS just not play well with others? Do I need to have separate dedicated hardware for myself as a result, or is there a step that I have missed?

Ryan Boudwin
ryanboudwin at gmail.com