[nfbcs] Questions regarding JAWS and NVDA

George osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Tue May 15 00:47:31 UTC 2018

Hi. Many people might disagree with me, but here's my experience with
Jaws and NVDA:

Until 2014, I used Jaws personally and for work. Jaws was very good, but
I had two problems: First, Jaws is expensive, very expensive, I feel...
Second, I had to upgrade sometimes and that means using more money.
For example, in 2014, I installed Windows 8.0 only to discover that I
could not use my version of Jaws with that "new operating system".
Then, I found NVDA and I could use that operating system thanks to it. I
just wanted to try Windows 8 to get accustomed to it before switching
from Windows Xp.

Because of that incident, I started to use NVDA and, after learning some
small interface changes, I found that I could do everything I needed to
do. So I felt very happy and relieved. I haven't had any big problem
since then. Maybe I have to think and get some ideas to solve some
little problems sometimes, but NVDA covers my needs 100%.
This is my personal experience; other people may have other needs and
need Jaws, just it's not necessary in my case. I use Word, Exel,
Firefox, Thunderbird, Visual Studio (From the Command prompt), Skype, etc.

If you know how to use Jaws or Nvda, you will have no big difficulties
to use the other one, because the interface is the same in most cases, I
think. However, the screen review mode is different in Nvda and it took
me some time to understand it and adapt to it.

I think that the main point is if you are OK with a free screen reader
or you have some special needs for which you need Jaws.
NVDA is free with free updates and you can use it "forever".
Jaws is not free and, if you want to have the latest system you are
never sure when you will need to update and pay again.
If you use Jaws and don't upgrade the system so that you don't need to
upgrade Jaws and can save some money, you might have a big learning
curve when you upgrade to a totally different system later and, of
course, it's necessary to update the system for security reasons.
Windows 10 has automatic major updates... I'm using Windows 10 and I
feel confident when I have to upgrade.

So, if you have money and want to pay first and once in a while so that
you feel good and comfortable with the best accessibility in cases you
need it or perhaps even when you don't need it at the moment, Jaws seems
to be the best option.
However, if you prefer to save money, Nvda is your best option unless
you have needs that Jaws meets beter. I don't think Jaws can solve all
the problems and works perfectly with all kinds of software, though:
there might be some software you need to work with that is inaccessible
both with Nvda and with Jaws.
I don't think I will buy Jaws again unless I need it. At least until
now, I can do everything I need to do with the help of Nvda.

I think that this is a matter of specific needs and personal choice.
Jaws and Nvda are both very good screen readers and I hope we can have
these two choices also in the future for many many years.
Narrator is also free and it comes with Windows 10, but I use it only
when Nvda stops, just to restart the system.

HTH
George