[nfbcs] The new ReCAPTCHA looks promising

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Nov 26 18:55:15 UTC 2018

Aaron,

You are far more knowledgeable in this area than I am, but I did not find
this Youtube demonstration complete enough to know how it actually works.  I
also was made a little suspicious by the fact that I was told that another
video on bots was coming up next but what I actually got was a long video on
a new miraculous cure for arthritic pain that appeared not to be an ad but a
video that was longer than the ReCAPTCHA video.  Do you feel this video is
on the level?

I gather this approach would tend not to block users unless the behavior
produced a score that would trigger some kind of predefined action.  This
would benefit us, but I do wonder how practical it is with bots and hackers
being able to use different ID's and IP addresses and vary how they look.

I do think having a company such as Google being involved in a CAPTCHA
process is useful in that it at least reduces the number of places we need
to go to report problems.  The Google audio CAPTCHA is definitely better
now.  I was often unable to solve their audio challenges in the past, and
the improved audio has affected more than one site I have used that is not
part of Google itself.

Still, CAPTCHAs are getting more common rather than less common so I hope
that a better solution can be found that protects all interests.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson