[NFBCS] Remote Tracking with Git Upstreams

Nathaniel Schmidt schmidty2244 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 01:49:47 UTC 2020

Hi,

I hope this question has not already been asked as I am aware that a thread
similar to this was initiated a few weeks ago on one or two of the
blindness-related tech lists.  But I've been pretty busy and haven't had
time to read through everything.  I have a question regarding forked repos
and remote tracking.  How do I ensure that I am actually pushing to
origin/branch and not upstream/branch? I would like commentary on some Git
output from the Windows Powershell:

---Begin---

Windows PowerShell

PS C:\GitInit\njsch\splashkit-core> git remote add splashkitowner
https://github.com/splashkit/splashkit-core.git

PS C:\GitInit\njsch\splashkit-core> git fetch splashkitowner/develop
graphic 73 fatal: 'splashkitowner/develop'

does not appear to be a git repository

graphic 738

and the repository exists.
graphic 738 PS C:\GitInit\njsch\splashkit-core>

git fetch splashkitowner

>From https://github.com/splashkit/splashkit-core

 * [new branch]      develop             -> splashkitowner/develop

 * [new branch]      master              -> splashkitowner/master
graphic 738  * [new branch]

 new/add-serial      -> splashkitowner/new/add-serial

 * [new branch]      new/twitter-account ->
splashkitowner/new/twitter-account

PS C:\GitInit\njsch\splashkit-core> git checkout develop
graphic 738 Already on 'develop'

Your branch is up to date with 'origin/develop'.

PS C:\GitInit\njsch\splashkit-core> git branch -u splashkitowner/develop
graphic 738 Branch 'develop' set

up to track remote branch 'develop' from 'splashkitowner'.

PS C:\GitInit\njsch\splashkit-core> git branch

* develop
graphic 738 PS C:\GitInit\njsch\splashkit-core>

git checkout develop

Already on 'develop'

Your branch is up to date with 'splashkitowner/develop'.
graphic 738 PS C:\GitInit\njsch\splashkit-core>

---End---

My problem occurs when I call "git branch -u splashkitowner/develop".  My
experience from other repos is that if I commit from here onwards, my
changes will not be successfully pushed, as Git will assume that I want to
push to remote rather than origin.  What do I do from here on? I need to go
back to origin/develop, not splashkitowner/develop.

Thanks in advance,

Nathaniel

Nathaniel Schmidt

Undergraduate student

Bachelor of Computer Science (S306)

School of Information Technology

Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment

Deakin University, Cloud campus

https://sync.deakin.edu.au/profiles/student/njschmidt/

Std. ID: 220493627

E: njschmidt at deakin.edu.au <mailto:njschmidt at deakin.edu.au>