[NFBCS] Remote Tracking with Git Upstreams

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Aug 3 12:04:38 UTC 2020

I'm not totally sure what all of your output is supposed to mean, so
I'll try to explain.
When you track an upstream branch, or any branch remotely (this also
isn't github specific), you're pointing a branch at a remote repo.
I use this to merge upstream changes in on forked projects, which you've
already mentioned.
So a couple of tips:
1) When you want to create a branch off of your upstream, if you plan to
submit a pr for example, you can do so by using:
git checkout -b <your branch name> upstream
where upstream is the upstream branch you want to use.
To make sure that you're pushing to the right place, use git branch -a,
find the one with the asterisk (*) next to it, that is your current
branch. it will show remote/origin/... or origin/...
PS: you should not be pushing to upstream branches regardless. Submit a
pull request: create a branch off of upstream as I showed earlier, add
your changes, commit, push. When you push to Github you will get a link
for creating a pull request.

HTH,