[NFBCS] Some Access Questions for Intro CS Class

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Aug 4 19:43:11 UTC 2020

Hello Natalie,
Please find my answers inline with your questions.
On 8/4/2020 3:21 PM, Natalie via NFBCS wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm new to the list and apologize if these issues have been explored before.
>

> I will be taking a university intro CS class this fall and have been in
> contact with the professor around what platforms will be used to
> troubleshoot accessibility. Below is a list of some programs I was hoping to
> gather info about.
>

> *	PyCharm, a tool for writing Python code
Someone on this list said this was accessible a few days ago, so I'm
hoping that they'll provide some information on how they made it happen.
I didn't manage much success with it, however when I tried last year,
and the company only pointed me at forum posts as an explaination for
how it can be made accessible. If this does not work, Notepad++ is a
great alternative; you can have JAWS (or any screen reader) announce
indentation levels for you.
> *	GitHub, a widely used code hosting platform where students store
> their code

I have not ran into accessibility issues with Gitub. You will likely
just be using the website to create and manage repositories; a lot of
people use the visual Git GUI, but I would recommend you simply learn
the command line version. There are cheatsheets all over the place and
tutorials, and you will generally be much more productive with mastery
over the command line interface to Git. Please feel free to ask
questions here.

> *	Repl.it, provides a way to embed live code samples into the course
> web pages

I usually do not see much accessibility with tools like this. Github has Gists which are fairly useful, if you are able to you might also simply request the code samples from your professor so you can run them yourself. This is not optimal so I'm hoping someone else has other ideas here.

HTH,
  Does anyone know if the above are screen reader accessible and if not, do
you know of any good alternatives?

I tried a quick test of repl.it and was able to see the code, but could not
seem to access the output.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Natalie

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/tyler%40tysdomain.com

--

Take Care,
Tyler Littlefield (he/him/his)

Tyler Littlefield Consulting: website development and business
solutions. <http://tylerlittlefield.me> My personal site
<http://tysdomain.com> My Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/ty-lerlittlefield> @Sorressean on Twitter
<http://twitter.com/sorressean>