[NFBCS] kali question:

beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 16:27:21 UTC 2020

Good afternoon Charles,

I've installed Kali inside a virtual environment using Virtualbox inside a   windows machine and also on a Linux computer. I have a very old computer for my Linux machine and I wasn't able to get Kali to recognize my CD-ROMs drive on my old ThinkPad. <sigh> I hope you're having better luck than I did with it. 😊

It's my understanding that Kali is a modified version of Ubuntu Linux so maybe you could install it using the sudo apt-install brltty command. Brltty was automatically installed with my version of Linux that I saved as an ISO image and burned as a CD to run on one of my computers.

Perhaps the error message you're getting might be a file permissions problem. I also had a permissions issue where I had to give one of the Orca  Braille files.  I believe  brltty is used with the Orca screen reader to provide Braille support with that tool, perhaps there is info on the brltty man pages or its web site.  I'll have to look it up again because it's been a couple of years since I had that problem. Perhaps searching the error message in Google or Linux or Kali forums would help, though I'm sure you've tried that already before posting here. 😊

There are people on this list way more knowledgeable about Linux than I am, but please write to me privately if I can be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Beth