[NFBCS] Weird JAWS Problem on Windows 10 with Text Editor

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sun Aug 30 19:41:06 UTC 2020

I wonder if the EdSharp problem is caused by it trying to change the line endings between LF and CRLF. There may be a setting for that; I haven't used that editor though.

Regarding the problems reading the TeX editor: When the JAWS cursor finds no text, this usually means that either the video driver is not installed or is having problems, the legacy accessibility driver is turned off and the
newer technology does not work with this application, or the off-screen model (OSM) is empty or incomplete for some other, usually transitory reason. The first two of those cases should be easy enough to diagnose, but the
last is not so simple and is probably what you're dealing with given that your results were inconsistent across multiple JAWS installs.

A few suggestions:

1. Make sure nothing is opening over the top of your editor, such as an always-on-top dialog, system tray alert, security popup, etc. The Insert+F10 JAWS Task List may be useful here.

2. Use Windows+M to minimize all apps to the desktop, then see if the JAWS cursor finds any text at all. If not, your OSM is probably not going to work on this machine. As I said though, the result of this sort of test may
not be consistent from one try to the next.

3. See if maximizing the editor window helps.