[NFBCS] OSX Questions

Reece O’Bryan Reece.obryan at pm.me
Fri Jan 15 13:02:32 UTC 2021

no worries, I was just giving that one as an example I can learn from. I do understand it much better now, brew tap user/file/repo. So just a couple of questions regarding that,

1. So everything down loaded with the package manager brew will be installed in the folder you just gave. I know that it is possible to change the directory that brew downloads to. If I change the brew download folder to that sublink folder, would I essentially have my downloads going where my native applications are? Or would it be cleaner to leave the default installation directories and then create a shortcut or sublink to it and then I will have it in the applications folder?
2. Sure folder to my dock to get to them quickly. I guess an alternative would be to leave brew installing where it is, then can I create a folder titled GitHub that I can place on the dock that will just open the brew download directory? I have OCD, I know this seems unimportant, but organization is a major reason for doing this.

3. Is that literally all there is to it to download whatever it is from get hub? Essentially just exchanging “git clone repo link” with “brew install user/project/GitHub repo”? Does doing this download all of the needed dependencies that come with it such as if I did a “apt install” or do I need to tap each repo and it’s dependencies as well?
4. Doing this will not for some reason have brew actually run the files, Such as a python or bash install file located in the repo, or will it? My assumption is using brew tap only downloads to your brew directory. You then would navigate to the brew folder to edit config files or to run an install.sh, correct?

I am sorry for the elementary questions. I’m not actually a complete beginner with this, just new to it with a MacBook and by sound. I used to be much more adventurous when exploring and learning new technology, but now that I cannot see I have a major fear of doing something to the machines to make them inaccessible. I have a few portable solid-state drives on the way that I plan to install some backup (or rescue) operating systems for me to use if that were ever an issue.
Thanks again very much for the help. It is unbelievably appreciated.Thanks again very much for the help.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile