[NFBCS] Making accessibility part of CS education

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Jun 27 12:15:13 UTC 2021

My brother asked me to find out if blind organizations are working on making
accessibility and universal design part of CS education programs, and not
just as an hour's lip service maybe once a year.  It should be baked into
every project.  We all know that accessibility works best if it's built in
from the start, not sort of tacked on as an afterthought, or, more usually,
put off indefinitely.

I think Jack Heim has been working on this for years, but I don't know if we
in NFBCS have done much about it.  Have we, and I just don't know?

If not, are there things we can do?  I'm mostly retired now, so I have more
time than I used to.

Tracy