[NFBCS] {Spam?} RE: A few questions on front design apps

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Sat Mar 13 19:57:30 UTC 2021

Hina,

Both of your notes got through, and I suspect nobody has specific experience with FIGMA.  I was hoping somebody younger would respond, and perhaps they still will.

Sometimes I have found when taking classes I needed for my job and such that I needed to work with another person to learn what I needed when I confronted an inaccessible part of a course.  I am not saying that this is how it should be, but sometimes I have had to deal with things as they were.  Front-end approaches to writing programs often tend to be very visual, so this is a problem we have often encountered.  I know that some blind students have worked with professors to provide an alternative approach, but this has always bothered me some because sometimes knowing how software works is useful even if one can't use it.  For example, I once learned some how to use some report generating tools that I could not access because part of my job was to decide which tool would work best for a project.  To do that, I worked with someone who described to me exactly what they did so I learned the concepts.  That is probably a pretty rare occurrence, though.

Since you live here in Minnesota, I can say with some certainty that you should be able to still get money from State Services for the Blind to pay somebody to be a reader to help with this situation.  I understand this may not be a great solution, though, and maybe somebody with more specific experience will respond.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson