[Nfbf-l] David, I Hear Your Frustration!

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 6 21:20:44 UTC 2009

David,
    As you know from my posts and from the Leadership Workshop, I am also
frustrated with the leadership of the NFB of Florida. While this is true, my
frustration lies in the manner in which the business of the affiliate is
handled, along with the arbitrary practices in violation of our constitution
and the lack of support given to Chapters. I am of the opinion that the
aaffiliate's strenth has diminished very significantly and, unless the Board
does what they have promised to do during the Leadership Workshop, it will
continue to diminish. It seems obvious to me that the Board of Directors,
with some exceptions, care little about the health of the Chapters. The flaw
in this approach is that the affiliate's strength is directly tied to the
strength and success of the Chapters!
    This being said, I will say that the Board of Directors is not the NFB
of Florida. Their charge, as per the constitution, is to conduct the
business of the affiliate between meetings (conventions). The affiliate
consists of the Chapters, not the Board of Directors. Therefore, if you want
to know what the NFB is doing, it is essential to ask what you are doing.
Though the Board of Directors gives little or no support to the Chapters,
there are those of us out here who are ready and willing to offer this
support to you. Any individual can get in touch with me and I would be
willing to help them with fund raising events and educational programs.
    I hope you wil reconsider giving up on the NFB! I would also encourage
you to come to convention and cast your vote in favor of new leadership. In
fact, you seem like the kind of person I would vote for to sit on our Board
of Directors. You seem to have the energy to make a difference and the
fortitude to speak out, rather than follow the status quo.
    Like you, I am frustrated with the self-serving practices of the Board.
You have undoubtably noticed how quickly messages of support are responded
to on this list; however, when questions are asked about accountability,
they are virtually ignored. The Board of Directors is elected by the
membership. If we don't like their leadership, vote them out! If you, like
me, believe the Board is a clique, break up the clique! It is easier to make
change from within than from the outside. Help the HEP Chapter grow and run
for the Board in may! I would vote for you because you are a successful
businessman and not a part of the inner circle.
    If you would like to chat with me, I would be more than happy to offer
more of my perspective and my support for your involvement in the NFB. This
offer is extended to anyone in the affiliate! I realize there are challenges
in your area. I am certain that you can help bring more vitality back to the
Chapter. David Bearden has been working hard to get the chapter moving and I
realize that he hasn't received much support for this endeavor. If you
really believe the Federation is the best agent for change in the lives of
the blind, stick with it and help us change it. Please don't judge the
entire affiliate on the few that do nothing; rather, focus on the ones who
want to see it progress and join with us in making it so!

fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
East Hillsborough Chapter
813-626-2789