[Nfbf-l] "Actions speak louder than words!"

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 6 21:47:20 UTC 2009

Dear All,
    I believe this message demonstrates the very attitude that is creating
the issue within our affiliate. Rather than listening to the concerns of
thos of us who are leaders in this affiliate and changing the culture within
the Board of Directors, those who are disenchanted are bid farewell without
even an effort to resolve the issues.
    At our Leadership Workshop we were told that the Board wanted to
communicate better with the membership. One way we were told this would be
done is by the posting of the minutes of the Board of Directors. It has been
more than a month now and still the most recent minutes are from january 12!
    I have helped other Chapters with the details of such things as opening
a bank account, implementing educational programs, conducting fund raising
events, and advocating for others  because the Board ignored their needs. We
are being asked to help raise funds for the affiliate, yet the Board of
Directors fails to be accountable for how they spend the money we have
already raised. Again, I ask the question, "When can we expect the better
communication we were promised would happen soon? When is "soon"?
    There is an adage that "actions speak louder than words"! We are told we
will get better communication and, after a month, we cannot even get the
minutes of the Board meetings. "Actions speak louder than words!" We are
told the Board wants to help strengthen chapters. "Actions speak louder than
words!" We are told there will be better communication and transparency.
"Actions speak louder than words!"
    If you were frustrated with the way our afiliate was being run and
received the message below, would you be motivated to stay on or would it
only galvanize your intention to give up? I have frequently thought of
giving up because of my frustration with the affiliate and their lack of
responsiveness to real concerns. However, I feel the NFB is more than a few
individuals or even the body of the Board. I know the potential of
collective action and believe in what the NFB stands for. I, too, am unhappy
with the way the business of the affiliate is being handled, but I know
there is a greater good and a larger organization. Until the membership,as a
whole, becomes frustrated with the actions of the Board and either demand
change or make it happen through their votes, we will continue on the
regressive path we are following.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
East Hillsborough Chapter