[Nfbf-l] COMMUNICATION AND LEADERSHIP

Carlos J montas carlos.montas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 04:56:25 UTC 2009

Good evening to the federation family. I have dun a lot of reflecting during this past week about the National federation of the blind of Florida and the critical moment that this affiliate finds it self in, as we end 2009,and ring in 2010.
First of all, I would like to share a quote I read the other day about leadership. Warren Bennis once stated, "Managers are people who do things right, while leaders are people who do the right thing." As humans we do not always know what the right thing to do is, Particularly when discussing issues that have to do with an organization such as the NFBf. It is because of this fact that when are leaders call upon us to provide feedback that we should all assist are leaders in what ever way we can. We are all the National Federation of the blind of Florida not just a select few who have been voted to elective office. The old expression to whom much is given, much is expected. It is critical that are leaders keep an open mind because that is the only way that they will become better leaders. It requires that are board of directors be accountable, and open to constructive criticism. this is the only way that we are going to be able to improve this affiliate.
I remember an experience I had while attending the Louisiana center for the blind where I was learning how to use power tools, and measure accurately. this task was extremely difficult. There were days when I just did not want to walk in to shop class. My instructor continued to push me until I completed the task successfully. I continued to persevere, and I found that I grew as a person because I learned about being mentally tuff and not taking criticism personally. I new that this instructor had my best interest in mind but he was still being hard on me because he expected the very best from me. I tell you all that story because I expect the very best from are leaders,at the State and national level. As a young person who wants to continue to improve the lives of blind people all across this State, I am disappointed that are leadership has attempted to dismiss any of the criticisms that have been expressed on this list serve on the bases that nothing is valid because of where the criticism came from. It is time for the leadership to put the past behind them, and move forward with the work of this organization. Mr. Gwisdala, in my years of involvement with the Nfb has demonstrated a wonderful work ethic, and commitment to this organization. I do not care, and I do not want to know about his past. We all have a past,  and many of us have changed for the better. We are better people today then we were yesterday because we attempt to be more Christ Like as each day goes by. I want to see are state board more open to allowing young people to serve in positions of leadership. When attempting to recruit new members, this is a complaint I here all the time from young blind people. One of the responsibilities that you all as leaders have is to pass on the knowledge you all have to others so that they can continue the work of are organization. Board members like Kathy Davis, and Betty McNally understand this issue because I am a better advocate because of them.Dr. Maurer talks about this all the time. I hope that this message will be the end of this issue.I appreciate the opportunity to express my self on this list.may you all have a wonderful weekend.
Sincerely
Carlos J montas