[Nfbf-l] Computer transition

Joanne jdking09 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 20 04:59:27 UTC 2009

Hi Bill
 1. Call EarthLink and they will set you up with Hy Speed
or  call your telephone company and they will install the equipment and get
you set up with hy speed and then call EarthLink and for less than $5 a
month more you can keep your EarthLink for your e mail address.  It
shouldn't take more than a day.

Make sure all your files are saved in My Documents.  Then you can send them
directly to a flash drive or sd card, or if you have an external drive you
can send them there.  If you go into My Documents, select all the folders
and files with control A, Then go to your file menu, arrow down to SEND TO
and enter.  Arrow down to the drive you want to send them to and the you can
transfer the flash drive or sd car, or plug in your external drive and send
them to your new laptop.

One thing I am not sure of and that is you are downloading 2003 files to
word 7.  When you get to that point, you need to ask someone about that.

You should have gotten an authorized disc with your JAWS.  So you want have
to go on line for the authorization.  At that point Jaws will ask you if you
want to have JAWS start when the computer starts up So then you can enter on
that.
If you press the window key, then enter on program, go into Accessory and
enter on accessibility, arrow down to Narrator and uncheck everything when
you tab, then tab to exit and Narrator shouldn't bother you again.

One thing you should know and that is that Word 7 has a different type of
File Menu than 2003 or earlier.  You may need some training on that.  Do you
have XP or Vista?
I am certain that the people at the center can help you set up your Laptop
and give you some training with word 7.
After you are connected with yur hyspeed then you can update all your
programs.  I am sure that Windows will need to be updated too.

Good luck with your new Laptop and I hope I was of some help.
Joanne King
I'll need some help with the printer set-up but that is somewhat secondary
and can wait until the other issues are resolved.

I know this sounds like a lot to talk about but it would be helpful to have
some input so I don't get caught short.  Please let me know if there
anything else I should have thought of and didn't.

Bill Outman
Secretary, Greater Daytona Beach Chapter