[Nfbf-l] Computer transition

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 19 23:20:51 UTC 2009

Good day list.

I hope everyone is having a good final weekend before Christmas.

I have some questions about how to proceed at this point with my computer
transition.

Yesterday I bought my new HP laptop and printer system at Best buy.  It's 64
bit Windows 7 Home Premium and I had Office 2007 Standard edition and Norton
Anti-Virus installed on it.  It's supposed to have Adobe Reader 9 loaded as
well. 4 gb of RAM and 320 gb of hard drive are included and I got a Wi-Fi
router as well.  I have Jaws 11 Standard waiting to install.

Now that you have the basic stats here are the issues.

First there's the matter of upgrading my Earthlink service to high speed
that the router will work with.  I'd like to stay with them so as not to
have to deal with changing several list subscriptions and changing addresses
with individuals if possible.  The manager I was working with seemed to
think I needed to cancel my Earthlink as he knew only of how Bright House
cable and A. T. & T. handle high speed but I am pretty sure that's not right
as I know several of you are with Earthlink and I've seen a link to Wi-Fi on
the web site.  Iam fearing being in limbo for perhaps several weeks waiting
for someone to install something in my apartment as I've being the same 56 k
dial up capabality that came with the ten year old Windows 98 computer I'm
replacing.  I am also concerned about if I will end up with double charges
both to Earthlink and someone else providing the high speed or a
substantially higher price unknown to me.  I haven't made any calls about
this as I am a little unsure of to whom to put what questions and how to
work through the sequence of events that needs to take place.

Before that transition occurs and we tear down the old system, I need to
deal with old computer files I need to transfer, Word and Excel documents
centralized in "My Documents".  I am figuring I have to upload the entire
foler somewhere and then down load it to the new laptop, unless someone has
a better idea, as this old CD drive is read only; read-write wasn't standard
when the old computer was bought.  That's another reson I want to have the
Internet transition schedule clearly nailed down.

I know the Jaws installation is voice guided but I thought of a few possible
issues.  There is the issue of the installed Norton, whether I need to
fiddle with that for the install to work.  I know when the install finishes
we're supposed to check for updates and that is another concern I have with
the Internet transition.  I also neglected to specifically ensure that
Narrator was turned on so I am not sure whether they did so I may not have
any speech coming up at first when I turn the unit on.  I'm not sure if this
is something to worry about.

I'll need some help with the printer set-up but that is somewhat secondary
and can wait until the other issues are resolved.

I know this sounds like a lot to talk about but it would be helpful to have
some input so I don't get caught short.  Please let me know if there
anything else I should have thought of and didn't.

Bill Outman
Secretary, Greater Daytona Beach Chapter