[Nfbf-l] Cheating at the gas pumps!

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 3 02:29:28 UTC 2009

As a confirmed skeptic, I don't think any site should be the
be-all-and-end-all of authority, but I have always found that Snopes is a
good place to start. Most of their articles are well-referenced. I don't
know of Snopes having been debunked, and I would need documentation on that.
I would need to read it on Snopes.com to believe it. No, just kidding on
that last thing.

Seriously though, I think what Jim is riled up about, and rightly so, is
that some chain-letter-type posts just put "verified by Snopes" in them and
people just believe it. It is like when they put "As soon on TV" in ads. I
don't see how this ads any instant credibility -- especially when "as seen
on TV" could have been in a late-night commercial, or an episode of 60
minutes telling how dangerous the product is.

It is always a good idea to check more than one source.

Note: This message has been verified by Snopes.

Dan Hicks (As seen on TV!)
NFBF-L Moderator.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice,
 you might as well dance."