[Nfbf-l] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: legislative committee

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 30 00:37:37 UTC 2009

Dear betty,

It was nice to see you yesterday at the RTA committee meeting.
I think that we need to have changes made to the White Cane Law that
re-defines it, raises the fines and describes just what a violation is and
re-orders the way the Law is written and presented.
We also need to see to it that it is required to be in all copies of the
statute manuals that police officers carry with them so it is there for them
to see and refer to.

I think that we can justify the raising of the fine from $66 to $250 for a
violation as the fines for parking in a handicapped space is that high.  A
parking violation just inconveniences a person where the other can get you
killed.
I think the fine should double to at least $500 if you or your guide dog are
struck.
I think that a large part of the fines should be placed in a trust fund for
grants and donation for the use of DBS and a part of the funds used to pay
for an ongoing Public outreach program to educate Drivers, Law enforcement
officers and the General Public about the White Cane Law and to promote
greater safety in street crossing for the Blind and Disabled.

The way the law is presented starts out wrong by stating that it is illegal
to carry a White Cane if you are not blind.  This statement should be at the
end of the statute, not the beginning.
The statute should spell out just what is a violation as it does not
describe just what is a violation now, but leaves it to be very subjective
and very open to interpretation.  Such things as crossing the lines or
blocking the crosswalks or curb cuts, failing to come to a full stop before
making a Right on Red or cutting off a person crossing the street, who is in
the crosswalk, but who has not reached the other side of the street yet.
Blowing of the car horn, yelling at or insulting the person crossing the
street or efforts to scare the crosser by the drivers actions.
The violators should also get points on their license and have to attend a
safe driving class and pass a written test on the White Cane Law and other
safety related information from the class and  repeat the class, at their
expense, if they fail the test or until they pass the test.
Double failure of the test should also be sent to their car insurance
company points should stay on their license until they do pass the test or
at least 3 years and even doing community service should be considered too.

At "un-marked" crossings, a virtual crosswalk strip , at least 10 feet wide,
running across the street from curb to curb or road edge to road edge should
be assumed by all persons and drivers or law enforcement officers.  The
blind pedestrian should always be given the assumed Right of Way in a
crossing situation and drivers, who are required to have their vehicle under
control at all times, should "Yield" to them for their safety.
David Evans, NFBF