[Nfbf-l] Bowling for the blind

elizabeth McNally bethmac at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 16 16:49:59 UTC 2009

Marion, practice is the key. I can tell you not to hold on to the rail but
just slide your hand along keeping yourself at the appropriate distance for
you. I decide this by using my white cane to figure the distance to get me
to the middle of the lane and then adjust to left or right according to the
type of ball you throw. Another thing I use in giving instructions to a new
bowler that has vision loss is to keep the hand that you are throwing the
ball with has your thumb up releasing the ball like you are giving someone
the thumb. When first trying to work with a rail in particular do not try to
run but take four or five steps depending on your stride holding the ball at
your side bringing forward and slightly bending your knees as you release.
The only other thing I have done is describe the layout of the pins using
the numbers. This is true so that the scorekeeper or person relating the
information after the first ball can tell you what is up.

These are the things I can think of off the top of my head. If you can think
of other questions please let me know.  One other thing that I do not think
I have to even sayy is do not use the things in the lanes just to make
people feel good or the thing that some lanes have for other people with
disabilities that you just point and put the bowl on and let it go. To me
that is not bowling but can be used with those that have problems with their
hands or cognition.

Betty