[Nfbf-l] Fishing License for Florida

Jim Ellsworth jellsworth1 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 12:21:14 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I know that is a strange title for my message but here is the reason for it.

A good friend of mine went yesterday to get a salt water fishing license so
he and his wife could go fishing.  His wife had no trouble since she has a
valid Florida state driver's license.  Her husband, who has a valid Florida
state ID card was refused and was told that the ID was not sufficient enough
to get the license and that he would need to provide a second form of ID
such as a voter ID card.  Having said all of that, we do know that if he had
been willing to fill out a host of paper work etc and wait for who knows how
long, that he could have gotten the license at no charge but he was willing
to pay the cost.  They wanted to go fishing that same weekend.  He
ultimately had to go get a voter ID and then and only then was he able to
get the license.  By the way, they also tried the local tax collector's
office who also issues the license and the state Wilelife Agency and they
all told him that the Florida state ID was not good enough.

So this raises the question!  Why is the ID good enough for anything else
such as proving who you are, your age etc, it can get you on an airplane,
you can purchase liquor if you are of age and as far as I know an officer of
the law will accept it as a valid form of ID.  My friend's wife only had to
produce her driver's license and no second form of ID was necessary, but
apparently the state ID is not an equal form of ID as her husband was
required to get an alternate form of ID.

For crying out loud come on!!!  It's only a fishing license.  He wasn't
trying to buy a firearm.  Has anyone else run into a situation where their
state ID didn't suffice as a valid form of identification.  I could
understand the second form of ID if his wife had also been required to
produce the same but she wasn't.  What if anything can we do about this?

Thank you,

Jim Ellsworth