[Nfbf-l] good news and bad news

RJ Sandefur joltingjacksandefur at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 03:42:06 UTC 2010

Beth, DBS policy says concerning out of state services:
Out of State Services
DIVISION POLICY 6.14

SUBJECT
Out of State Services

EFFECTIVE DATE
July 9, 2003

REVISION DATE
February 14, 2008

EXPIRATION DATE
This policy will be reviewed annually and updated as needed.

PURPOSE

To provide guidelines for the provision of out-of-state services.

AUTHORITY
34 CFR 361.50(b)

POLICY
The Florida Division of Blind Services has established a preference for
in-State services, provided that the preference does not effectively deny an
individual a necessary service. If the individual chooses an out-of-State
service at a higher cost than an in-State service, and either service would
meet the individual's rehabilitation needs, the designated State unit is not
responsible for those costs in excess of the cost of the in-State service.
However, if the out-of-state services provides a unique service to meet the
individual's rehabilitation plan, the Bureau Chief should be contacted to
approve or disapproval such a service.

Original signed by Michael Elliott, Bureau Chief, February 14, 2008

Craig, Is this a new policy, Or was this policy in effect when you were the
director of DBS? What does this policy mean, and How would it apply to
beth's situation? And, what about the  policy as stated in 2001 in RSA
PD-01-03:

      POLICY STATEMENT:  The State VR program must provide applicants
and individuals eligible for VR services with opportunities to
exercise informed choice throughout the VR process, including making
decisions about the employment goal, VR services, service providers,
settings for employment and service provision, and methods for
procuring services.  To enable an individual to make such decisions,
the State VR agency must provide information, support and assistance
needed by the individual.  The VR agency has the responsibility to
implement policies, procedures, and practices, and to develop
resources that enable applicants and individuals eligible for VR
services to exercise informed choice throughout the entire VR process;
these policies, procedures, and practices must be consistent with
Federal statutory and regulatory requirements.
Is the DBS policy in question saying, they can say "Beth, we feel you should
attend the orentation and ajustment center? The policy comes accross as a
bit bius. RJ