[Nfbf-l] NFBF Convention is now history

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 03:07:33 UTC 2010

Fellow Federation Members,

The 2010 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida is
now a part of our history.

It was a wonderful event, full of excitement and surprises.

There are so many people that I want to thank for making this event such a
success. Dwight Sayer was a great guy to work with, and he and Patty and
Austin worked very hard and with great creativity, as did the rest of the
members of the Greater Orlando Chapter and all of the volunteers they
recruited.

The members of the NFBF Board showed exemplary leadership and skill in
making this event happy. The members of the Events Committee assured that
this event was a great success.

I wish to thank everyone who helped in the planning and execution of this
convention, as well as everyone who took part, attended, and supported the
convention and the NFBF.

A special thank you to Dr. Marc Maurer, who was an excellent national
representative and showed himself to be a true friend of our affiliate.

Madelyn Buzzard was as enjoyable and entertaining a guest Talking Book
Narrator as we have ever had. We appreciate her spending her Memorial Day
weekend with all of us. There were many other fascinating and informative
speakers and seminars.

Here are some numbers from the convention:

We have 225 registered attendees. 190 banquet meals were served.

We made $2242.00 from the NFBF Auction on Saturday night. I believe this is
a record, and one that will be difficult to beat. That won't keep us from
trying next year.

The convention passed two resolutions - look for them on our website in the
days to come.

Officers re-elected to the NFBF Board of Directors were First Vice President
Dwight Sayer and Treasurer Gloria Mills Hicks. Congratulations to both. We
are happy to continue working with you.

Two of our very valuable and much loved board members did not run for
re-election.

The convention elected two first-time state board members to serve in those
positions. Please join me in congratulating Denise Valkema and Carlos Montas
to the NFBF Board of Directors.

If you missed this state convention, you will have your next change to
attend an NFBF convention over Memorial Day Weekend. Mike Lamb and the
Pinellas Chapter will be our welcoming hosts. And, don't forget the upcoming
NFB national convention, which will take place July 3 thru 9, in Dallas. I
hope to see all of you at these exciting upcoming events.

Well, I am sure others would like to comment on the convention. I look
forward to reading what each of you have to say.

Thank you all for supporting this life-enhancing event and for supporting
the NFB of Florida.

Dan Hicks, President
NFB of Florida

"He who has why to live can bear almost any how"
                   -Friedrich Nietzsche