[Nfbf-l] News coverage for 2010 NFBF convention

REPCODDS at aol.com REPCODDS at aol.com
Tue Jun 1 15:52:40 UTC 2010

Blind Man Shares 9/11 Survival Story
Monday, May 31,  2010 5:16:38 AM
Tools: _E-mail_ (mailto:?body=Blind Man Shares 9/11 Survival Story -
Central Florida News 13:
http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010/5/30/blind_man_shares_9/11_survival_story.html)   | _Print_
(http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010/5/30/blind_man_shares_9/11_survival_story.html#)   | _Feedback_
(http://www.cfnews13.com/About/Feedback/Default.aspx)  |
(http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php)

(http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedImages/Stories/Local/Michael%20Hingson.jpg)
_View Larger_
(http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedImages/Stories/Local/Michael%20Hingson.jpg)

Video
    *   _Blind  Survivor_ (javascript:void
OpenVideo('blindwtcsurvivor_053020100915','Local','Blind Survivor');)

Reported by _Dave  D’Marko_
(http://cfnews13.com/Templates/Bio.aspx?id=391172)
ORLANDO -- Like everyone who was inside the World Trade  Center on Sept.
11, Michael Hingson has quite a story.

But Hingson can't  describe what he saw the tragic day because he’s blind.

He was on the  78th floor of the north tower when the first plane hit just
above.
"For the 13 months I ran office for Quantum, it was on my mind every day
how  I would react and work in an emergency," Hingson said.

Hingson's office  was filled with visitors that day, so he took over,
leading them safely down the  steps.

But once they hit the ground, the other tower fell. They started  down the
stairs to the subway to get away from the debris.
"Literally, we’re drowning in the debris and the dust. It was so thick,”
he  said. “You couldn't see 6 inches in front of your nose."
For everyone else, it was a blur. Hingson was able to keep his focus.
"She was crying and she was afraid of falling further into the system and
down the stairs,” Hingson said. “I took her arm and said ‘I don't want you
to  worry. I'm blind, but I have my guide dog. She'll make sure neither of
us fall,  and we're OK.’"

Now, more than eight years later, Hingson has turned the  tragedy into a
story of triumph.

He spoke before the National Federation  of the Blind's state convention
Sunday.

Hingson travels the country  with his guide dog, talking about advances in
technology that now help the  blind, and fighting against laws that would
prohibit blind or disabled people  from working on upper floors.

He said his only handicap is other people's  misconceptions about the
abilities of the blind.
"We're all in the same world and we should all be included," Hingson  said.
_Comment On This  Story_
(http://www.cfnews13.com/About/Feedback/Default.aspx)