[Nfbf-l] CCB stay denied, please help

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 12 04:01:03 UTC 2010

Dear Beth,

You may need to remind your parents, that they will not be around forever to
take care of you and make decisions for you.
They , don't believe that any blind person can be independent, because they
don't know how THEY could live without their eye sight, therefore, they
don't believe you, or any other Blind person can either.
You can fight they interference and even they court order declaring you as
incompetent due to Blindness.
This was very common in the past, just 80 years ago here in Florida.
The state of Florida even had a policy of placing blind children in asylums
for the insane as they, the government, believed that at some point every
blind person would go insane and need to be institutionalized.  This is not
true, but that was the policy and the mind set of the time.
It is not easy to cut the apron strings sometimes, but if you keep at it,
and never stop pursuing your goal, you will succeed.
The NFB has had to stand up for blind people many times into the past.
We have helped blind couples fight for their rights to take their new born
baby home and raise it when hospital officials have tried to prevent them
because they did not believe that blind people could raise and care for a
baby.
This is not different.
If you want to keep your e-mails private, i would suggest that you set up a
user account and then password protect it.  That will keep your dad from
reading your e-mails.
If you think you are right then you may need to fight for it.
You can go and talk to a social work or a minister and ask them to help you
and they can not talk to your parents without your permission.
The best thing would be for you to meet more good blind people and have them
meet your folks.

If you need to talk to someone, you can call me at my home number to talk.
My services as a Peer Counselor are free.  Call me at (561) 482-5684 and if
I am not home, leave message with a time, date and number when I can get
back to you.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
Former Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter
Governor's Select Task Force on Voting Access.
The Florida HAVA State Planning Committee
The Transportation Disadvantaged Local Coordination Board Palm Beach County
South Florida Regional Transportation Authority/ Tri-Rail
Legally Blind since age 16.